Roasted vegetable gnocchi with bacon
Try this Gnocchi with vegetables recipe. I’m sure you love it!
Roasted vegetable gnocchi with bacon is a comforting dish. It ticks all the boxes for a great meal
I made this dish in winter so pumpkin, oyster mushrooms and kale is what I had available. It was delicious served with the home made gnocchi and bacon but you can substitute the vegetables to what is seasonal and on hand when making this dish.
Gnocchi is a potato dumpling originally from Italy made with a combination of flour, egg, salt, and potato.
The homemade gnocchi can be prepared and blanched in advance and just heat them by saute’ in a pan or dunk quickly in boiling water before serving. It’s a bit of work to do the gnocchi from scratch. However once the gnocchi are done the rest of the meal is super easy.
You can find fresh gnocchi in most supermarkets now so you can skip the process of making your own if you want a quick mid week meal. However my home made gnocchi recipe is not as hard as you may think and totally worth the effort.
I have many home-grown potatoes so it’s a shame not to make my own gnocchi. It’s also a fun thing to do on a rainy day and my outside jobs are on hold.
Read about how to grow stunning potatoes effortlessly at home here
Gnocchi with roasted vegetables is a delicious, and healthy weeknight meal. It’s also a great way to use up whatever your garden is producing at the time.
Roasted vegetable gnocchi with bacon is hearty, flavorful and the perfect dinner recipe that taste of the Mediterranean and the whole family can enjoy.
Just leave the bacon out if you want to make this a vegetarian meal
Read more about growing food here
You might also like my creamy oyster mushroom pasta dish Pasta boscaiola and Mexican Masa corn dumplings (Chochoyotes)
566 total views, 22 views today
Roasted vegetable gnocchi with bacon
You could easily leave the bacon out to make this gnocchi recipe vegetarian only from the garden and it would still be very satisfying.
With all meat lovers in my family, I decided to add bacon to the roasted vegetables with gnocchi.
homemade gnocchi recipe
The roasted vegetables and bacon topping
home made gnocchi
- Cook the potatoes and mash them.
- Add 2 cups of flour, egg and seasoning. Mix well with your hands.
- When all ingredient are combined put it on a floured surface and kneed like you would a bread dough add more flour if needed.
- The dough should be firm and smooth not sticking to the bench surface but not be dry either. Similar consistence to a bread or pizza dough.
- The amount of flour will vary depending on the size and the variety of potato you are using so the 2.5 cup is a guideline only.
- When the gnocchi dough is ready divide it in to four pieces and roll each piece out to long rope like piece. Cut the 'ropes' in to roughly 2 cm long pieces.
- If you like them to look 'fancy' roll the pieces on a gnocchi board to give them groove marks or you can just press down lightly with the back of a fork on top of each piece for a similar effect. You can just leave them plain if you like to keep it simple.
- Boil the gnocchi in salted water a few at the time. Don't overcrowd the pot. When the gnocchi starting to float to the surface they are done. with a slotted spoon or sieve scoop the gnocchi out in to a colander to drain off.
- mix the gnocchi with olive oil and add to the roasted vegetables.
- Serve warm with shaved or grated Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
Roasted Vegetable and bacon Topping
- Spread the bacon and mushrooms out on a baking tray generously coated with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a separate oiled oven tray spread the pumpkin out. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the oven trays in the oven and bake until golden.
- Half way through cooking the bacon and mushrooms add the garlic and mix well.
- Put the kale in a mixing bowl. Season with olive oil salt and pepper. Mix well.
- just before the pumpkin is ready add the kale to the oven tray and put back in the oven for another minute. Take out and mix together well.
- Add the bacon and mushrooms to the pumpkin and kale and mix.
- You should now have an oven tray full of colorful delights
Visit my page about growing food here
This was delicious! I’d never made gnocchi before but I had so much fun and it tasted great too.
Love this gnocchi with vegetables! It’s full of flavor and easy to make!
Thanks for the thorough instructions, I was able to make my first gnocchi. Enjoyed it.