Do you like eating healthy, free ranged meat that tastes amazing?
We all know that cooking healthy home made meals from scratch can consume a ton of time.
However cooking healthy venison dishes, like this schnitzel recipe at home is easy.
Tender, thin slices of wild meat coated in crispy breadcrumbs and fried golden. This venison schnitzel recipe is so tasty and a lot easier to make than you may think.
The golden crunchy coating and thin juicy meat inside. I’m sure you love it!
Cooking schnitzel is something I do a lot at home and it’s always well received. You can substitute the venison with wild pork if preferred.
Ingredients you need for this recipe
This deer schnitzel recipe only requires simple ingredients:
Venison – back steak or similar cut
flour – all purpose
eggs – free ranged
milk – full fat
breadcrumbs – European or panko
oil – vegetable
How to make venison schnitzel
You will need an assembly line of three bowls to make the breaded schnitzel
- First you need to slice the meat against the grain
- then pound the meat with a meat tenderizer (I like to put the meat slices inside a freezer bag and pound the outside of the bag. That way its no blood or meat splatter.)
- Coat the meat well by dusting the slices in flour first, then dip them in the egg wash and finally coat them evenly in bread crumbs. I like to use standard bread crumbs for a European style crumbed schnitzel. However panco crumbs works fine too.
The schnitzels can be prepared and crumbed in advance and just fry the crumbed venison fresh before serving .
Venison meat is versatile, tasty and quick to prepare. You can read more ideas on how to cook venison here
How to cook crumbed schnitzel
Best way to cook schnitzel is to deep fry or gently pan fry them in a lot of butter.
For best pan frying result:
- Heat a cast iron skillet frying pan,
- pour in vegetable oil and a good size knob of butter.
- Fry both side of the schnitzel on low to medium heat until golden brown and crispy.
Leftover schnitzel are great in a sandwich the next day.
You might like my recipe for venison stew with bacon and mushrooms as well
Breading bowls or trays
frying pan – cast iron skillet is best
I love venison schnitzel! The golden crunchy coating and thin juicy meat inside.
- Serve with roast potatoes and a sauce. My favorite schnitzel sauce are mushroom or peppercorn sauce.
- Or serve the schnitzels with spaghetti in tomato, garlic and herb sauce.
- On it’s own with a lemon wedge is great too.
Read about how to grow stunning potatoes effortlessly at home here
Hunter gatherer food is healthy, natural and sustainable. Cooking and eating wild meat is the best way to enjoy food.
Read more ideas on hunting food here
Other recipes and articles you might like
Best way to cook schnitzel is to deep fry or pan fry them. I prefer pan fried schnitzel. Gently fry them in a lot of butter until golden and crispy.
Recipe for schnitzel
- Slice the meat about 1cm thick slices, put the meat inside a freezer bag and bang the slices with a meat tenderizer.
- Whisk egg, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl. In a separate bowl add your flour and in another bowl the bread crumbs.
- Dip the meat slices in flour first. All of the meat should be covered with a light dusting.
- Then dip in the egg mixture and finish in the bread crumbs.
- The meat should be well coated all over.
- Heat a pan, pour in oil and a good size knob of butter. Fry both side of the schnitzel on low to medium heat until golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges, mushroom sauce or peppercorn sauce. Potatoes and seasonal vegetables
See my page about hunting for meat